Sunday, February 1, 2009

Faith is relevant?

I had the most interesting moment this morning. I was talking about how our faith has to be relevant to our every day lives or it is meaningless. I said that what we believe in church has to match what we experience outside the church or it is worthless. I got the most appalled looks in response! These people looked like I had slapped them in the face! Huh?!!!! They looked like that was threatening to everything they believe. I even had to back up and say, "This isn't a threat to our faith. If it is the truth it holds up to our daily experiences." Something like that, anyway. I don't know who was more shocked, them or me!!! How can they be surprised that faith has to be relevant or it's meaningless? If that is so threatening to them, then they don't have any faith at all! And I'm the one who's been questioning???? Looks like they need to be questioning!!! Have they ever listened or read their Bibles? Have they ever realized that Jesus only did a small portion of his teaching inside a church? Most of what he did was out in the world! This was not supposed to be a new idea to them! It was supposed to be rehash of what I say all the time! The looks on their faces are engraved in my mind. I don't know what to do with that image. I don't know what to do with the fact that they don't get that! Or that they don't want to get it! I told them that they need to read their Bibles to hear what God has to say, not because it's pretty. That probably sent them right over the edge! Makes me realize how much I think is obvious, but it's not! Going to have to consider this for quite awhile! I'm not sure what I need to do with my work to improve this situation. I feel like I'm a broken record with that concept and they don't get it! Huh?!!! Shocking news! I'm not doing something right!

2 comments:

Billy Thompson said...

The bad thing is that the more I make my faith relevant in my life, the more irrelevant the church becomes in my life.

chocolatea said...

That's incredibly sad to me!!! And yet I think the same thing at times, so I understand exactly what you're saying. Know any good jobs for me?