Sunday, February 8, 2009

"It Ruins Everything. It breaks your heart."

A friend of mine and I were talking about life and he told me that life is just plain messy. I think I have been fighting "mess" all my life. Or maybe I've been making a mess all my life. He told me that I need to quit thinking of God as being neat. He says that God is messy. I've always said God "colors outside the lines." This year, for some reason though, I've been expecting God to color within the lines. I've been upset that God has not hit me over the head with the fact that I was in a terrible marriage, or maybe that God didn't work things out after so many years of trying. I've been angry that God hasn't been "following the rules." I've been upset that God has brought people into my life who haven't fit within my expectations.

Tonight I was watching, Moonstruck and was totally impacted by this line.
Ronny Cammareri: Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and *die*. The storybooks are *bullshit*. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and *get* in my bed!

Hmmm... Food for thought.

2 comments:

Billy Thompson said...

I think it's messy in that we cannot resolve our problems in nice, neat 30 minute sitcom segments. Life is more complicated than that, people do not forgive and forget that easy, we have other distractions in our lives that are constantly mingling. It's also messy because when you become involved with other people, they will continually cross over your lines of comfort. But these are the things that make our relationships unique and special. We should embrace the messiness of life. It would be kinda boring otherwise.

And while I agree that love is messy and imperfect, I do not think it ruins us. It's what actually saves us. Yes, sometimes it can hurt, but to stop would hurt even more.

chocolatea said...

Good thoughts! You're challenging me. I can attest to the fact that stopping loving can hurt even more. I certainly don't want to stop loving. In fact I wish I had someone in my life who loves me as much as I love him. It's just so hard for me to color outside the lines! I'm learning.