Monday, March 16, 2009

Is There Any Understanding Teens?

My sons tried to make jello shots right in my house, thinking I didn't know about them. I'm glad they are ignorant to parental previous experiences! (Of course I did most of that kind of stuff in college, when I was legal age.) I dumped it all. The amazing thing is that one of my boys started yelling at me for throwing it away! Huh???? Yelling at me for throwing away his illegal substance? I don't get it. That I really don't understand. He acts like he has some kind of right to drink! He threw a major tantrum. I just kept repeating to myself, "Calm and firm. I need to be calm and firm." There sure is a lot of cleaning up to do around here. There's a lot of work to hopefully repair the years of damage caused by our dysfunction. It's going to take a lot of time and patience. Last night I ran out of patience. The oldest had planned to go spend the night at his father's. I sent them both. If they had stayed here, I would have lost my cool. Calm and firm... I must remain calm and firm.... Parenting teens is not easy.

1 comment:

nikki said...

Oh Jello shots.
Would this explain why you have so many teenagers at your house so often these days?