Thursday, March 5, 2009

Don't Hurt My Kids!

We had a crisis in my home tonight. My youngest was doing his homework and mentioned something about other kids making fun of him, then he ran from the room, slammed his door and I heard the sobs coming down the hall. He tells me that some kids at school saw his Sponge Bob boxers and they've been making fun of him because of it! I started asking him why they are saying these things since high school kids and adults watch Sponge Bob. He told me that half the kids at his school think he's a nerd and a dork and a few other words I won't mention here! I am shocked! My child? My sweet child? My handsome child? My cool child? My fun child? Who can think of anything negative to say about him? I can't even imagine that everyone in his class doesn't compete to be his friend! It's all so unfair! He's so wonderful! My kids say that I'm clueless. When it comes to someone thinking ill of my children, I guess I am. I can criticize them but don't anybody else dare!

I spent some time just listening and asking questions tonight. My heart ached for him. I wanted to pick him up and cuddle him. Of course that would only prove that the kids are right! No touching from mom allowed under these circumstances. Finally, after talking, crying, and a snack, I was allowed to give him a hug and a kiss. I love this kid. He's terrific! Why are kids so cruel?

No comments: