Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Insurance!


Had a pretty good start on the day! Discovered some more drug paraphernalia, but can't find the stash. Saw my therapist who helped me figure out a good plan of action. She told me that she leads family interventions and would be glad to do ours. Talked to the boys' therapist who helped me decide on a final choice for a facility. Called the facility for more information. Called the insurance co. one more time with some questions. This is when and where things went to hell very quickly. It appears that my insurance offers unlimited number of days in a facility.... BUT.... there's always a BUT.... They assess and often release patients after 3-5 days for inpatient treatment and after 7 days for residential treatment. This means they don't do anything! What the hell do they think can be accomplished with an addicted teen in 3-7days?!! Nothing can be accomplished! The man with whom I spoke is supposedly a therapist. He actually had the balls to tell me that some people are better in that amount of time! I told him that he knew better than that. He said, "Well why don't you drive your boys over and just have them assessed, and then we'll go from there?" I'd be glad to let him hog-tie my two boys and drive them two hours away to have them assessed! "Since it's not alcohol or a hard core drug, most of the time they don't need residential treatment." In other words, to quote my son, "It's just pot!" So is pot a drug or not? If my son smokes it daily is he addicted or not? I decide to give up on the insurance co. and call the facility to see what their experience is with my insurance co. The facility says, "Most likely they won't admit them to residential treatment for marijuana." They'll have to do outpatient treatment. In other words...."It's just pot!" AAAAAhhhhhhh!!!! First I feel like the idiot mother of the century for not doing something about the pot a long time ago. Now I'm having the facility and insurance co. basically say the same thing my addicted ex and my addicted sons say to me. "Mom, it's no big deal. It's just pot!" So now what am I supposed to do? Just throw my sons out on the street? Send them to live with their father and just write them off? Call the police and have them arrested? Although I have heard from our police dept. that they'll be released in a few hours. Then they'll just owe the city more money which I don't have!

This is insanity! People say we can't have universal health care. Why? Because insurance companies run medical treatment! The doctors and therapists don't get to decide what's best. The goddamn, for-profit insurance co. does! People are dying because of health care insurance in the US. My sons may be next!

No comments: