Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Lack of Sleep




We had an interesting night in our house, last night. My son decided to sleep with me and the dog. Some time around 2am, the dog started jumping and running all over the bed. She was determined to wake us up. I kept yelling at her to go back to sleep. She would go to the bottom of the bed, under the covers like she normally does to sleep, then turn around and come back to our heads and dance a jig on us. I kept yelling at her. She wouldn't settle down. My son and I kept trying to sleep through it. We'd just doze off and she would start running up and down us again. She'd leave the room and come back just as crazy. I finally thought that maybe there was a stray animal in the house (which can happen with a dog door). I got up and walked through the house. Didn't see anything. Went back to bed and tried to sleep. Again, the dog would not let us rest for more than a half hour at a time.

At 7am, the alarm went off. I gladly got out of bed and stumbled toward the kitchen. There on the living room floor was the cause of the commotion.... a dead bird! Feathers were scattered throughout the living room and kitchen! I guess the dog was trying to let us know that the cat had brought us a bird. Aren't we just lucky to have such a talented cat? Believe it or not, I was relieved that it wasn't a mouse or rat. We've had enough of those which got away and lived in the house for weeks! I thought cats were supposed to keep critters out of your house, not bring them in. Good night! It's time to try again for some sleep.

3 comments:

nikki said...

Cats bring critters in as a present, to show their love for you. Consider yourself loved.

Billy Thompson said...

Yeah, when I was a kid ours brought rabbits. They were usually in pieces by the time we found our "gift".

chocolatea said...

The cat loves to bring his live presents to the dog, so they can share! That's how we had mice and rats in the house. Some of them were not dead yet. One day I moved a chair to vacuum and found a dead rat under it. I hope we never get a squirrel or rabbit! Oh, and one day he brought a baby possum in. That was gross!