Thursday, January 22, 2009

Grasping fog

I've always used the expression "grasping fog," to describe all attempts to define God or complicated concepts. Tonight I've discovered a new concept. My son has been playing with cornstarch mixed with water. What fun he's having! You can grab a chunk of it and it's solid, but then turns to liquid immediately in your hand, and runs through your fingers. If you punch it, it's a solid, but if you slowly put your fingers in it, it's a liquid. We saw this on the show Timewarp, and my son decided he needed to try it out. Each time I look at the boys playing in it, I think, "It's just like some relationships in my life. Always changing form." These relationships are exhausting and painful. They're like.... "cornstarch and water".... hmmm "grasping fog" is a better phrase. Of course grasping fog isn't painful. Punching cornstarch is, and then you feel stupid for feeling hurt because, "It's only a liquid." My older boys were in the garage playing catch with it. Odd process. You can shape it into a ball, and throw it. It becomes more liquid and out of shape with each toss. Splatters start going everywhere. It all gets very messy! Hmmmm again like some relationships.

No comments: