Sunday, May 10, 2009

Done with Happy for the Day

Went to the grocery store, figuring that I'd be one of the few there. I thought those of us who have nothing to celebrate today would be there on our own. We could share a bit of camaraderie. I was terribly wrong! Families were all over the place, buying dinner items for their mothers, Mother's Day balloons, flowers. It was disgusting! I spent another shopping trip hiding behind sunglasses, trying to decide if I wanted to throw up or throw something at someone. People who have lousy Mother's Days should just bar their doors and not see anyone. I have learned my lesson! It's too depressing. When the clerk at the checkout asked me if I wanted a Mother's Day balloon, I almost answered, "If I had someone to buy one for, or someone to buy one for me, I'd already have it in my grubby little hand. Since I do not, then obviously I don't want one! Ask me again and I'll tell you what to do with those balloons." Instead I said, "No, thank you."

Aaahhhh! I've tried to convince myself that today would be okay...that I just returned from a wonderful vacation, and there's really nothing to be sad about. Can't fool me! Denial just doesn't seem to work for me as well as it used to. May no one else wish me a "Happy Mother's Day!"

No comments: