Monday, May 4, 2009

Children Can Drive Me to Drink

Yesterday, I spent the day trying to figure out what to do about my two older boys. Have I done enough? Do I need to do more to intervene in their lives? How do I not feel guilty if I don't try something else? On and on it went, but I was determined to make a decision. Finally I wrote in my journal and realized that I don't just want them to go into drug treatment. I want them to gain self confidence, and feel loved and lovable. I thought long and hard on this and decided that helping them feel loved is something I can do. I can stay connected with them by sending text messages, cards, notes of encouragement. I can give them little gifts like candy bars, etc. I felt really pretty good about this decision, even though I expected to get no response from them. So I texted each of them with a different message. Two minutes later, I received this text: "Fuck you bitch! Don't ever text me again" Did I blog that I'm planning to spend some time grieving the loss of my children this week? That text sent me right to the heart of my sadness. It's a "damned if you do and damned if you don't situation." He's a child that only a mother would be crazy enough to love.

1 comment:

nikki said...

Seems to me, and I am certainly no expert, that this sort of stuff takes time. He needs time to mature, time to heal, and time to realize some things.
Maybe what he needs right now is for you to be there on the side, just in case he needs you.
If he truly needs you, he will come. I believe that. But he has to realize in his heart that he needs you. He doesn't see that yet.

Give it time.