Monday, May 4, 2009

The Beach


Been walking the beach at least 2 times a day since we arrived on the coast. It's amazingly beautiful. Of course I've been collecting sea shells. Can't resist them. I'm addicted to looking down as I walk, seeking the perfect shells. I keep trying to keep my eyes on the horizon, but I think it's almost too much to take in for very long. It's like looking into eternity. After awhile you have to look at something more concrete, something that you can touch, something that makes sense on a smaller scale.

As I collected shells today, I thought about these great patches of beach with thousands of shells. They are like elephant grave yards. They are the sea creature grave yards. Once the animals die, their shells wash up on the shore where we find them and take them to put on a shelf somewhere. They're also like abandoned houses that have been washed up from the sea to our realm. I keep playing with the metaphors, hoping to find some wisdom in the process. I keep thinking that it must be obvious, these gifts of shells and wisdom. The shells are obvious. The wisdom lies hidden beneath the waves and the sand. I wonder what we are to learn from it all.

1 comment:

nikki said...

There is a Nooma called Shells... all about taking on more than we can handle and losing sight of what we are really after.
Not sure that that is what you are going for...