Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where Is It?

My son and I have been having a weekend of "Where did I put it?" We were riding in the car with his friend and he put his handcuffs on his arm and attached it to the headrest. I'm driving down the highway at 70mph and I hear,
"Mom, I can't find the keys!"
"Where did you put them?"
"I don't know. I just had them a few minutes ago!"
"We haven't stopped the car, so they must be somewhere in the car."
The two boys frantically search the back seat, the floor by the back seat, between the bottom and back of the seat, between the console and each front seat. I'm thinking,
"How can you lose something when you've been confined to a seatbelt in the back of a vehicle with the windows shut? Did one of them open the window?"
They can't find the key. I tell them we'll be home in a few minutes and we'll look again. In the meantime, they remove the headrest so the arm is free to move around. About 10 minutes later, my son says,
"Uh-oh!"
"What did you do?"
"I just cuffed my arm to my ankle." I'm thinking,
" Why wasn't I a better mother and already have the second key in my safe keeping so this wouldn't happen? "But this is teaching him to be a bit more responsible. But if I were a better mother..."
It's so fun, that mom guilt trip! I ended up not taking the trip and realizing he needs to grow up and be responsible some time. Anyway, when we stopped the car, I searched the back floor. There were the keys, under a pair of shoes. I'm reminded of the commercial which labels
"mother" as "finder of all lost objects."
That pretty much describes me.

We have been home for a couple of hours now. I started to repair a door. Found the screw driver, found the screws, looked on the workbench for the strike plate. You guessed it. It wasn't there! I could swear I've walked past that thing a hundred times, seeing it out of the corner of my eye, and planning to put that in today. Can I find it? No! I imagine,
"Where did you put it?"
"I don't know."
"Where were you when you last saw it?"
"I thought I was standing at the work bench, but it's not there."
"Well it has to be somewhere in the house in plain sight if you've seen it a hundred times."
......I need a "mother!"

No comments: